Self-help: Recovering from depression
There are a number of strategies that help you to rebuild your self-confidence and regain control of your life while you are recovering from depression.
Try to plan your day so that any potentially difficult tasks become easier to deal with, and practice relaxation techniques on a regular basis. You might like to try some of the following ideas:
- Make a list of things that you have to do each day, beginning with the most important.
- Tackle one task at a time, and reflect on what you have achieved when each is done.
- Set aside a few minutes each day to relax by breathing deeply or stretching (see Relaxation exercises).
- Exercise regularly to help to reduce feelings of stress (see The benefits of exercise).
- Eat a healthy diet.
- Take up a pastime or hobby that distracts you from worries.
- Join a support group where you can meet other people who have had similar experiences.
- Self-help: Preventing allergic rhinitis
- Self-help: Life after a heart attack
- Self-help: Coping with varicose veins
- Self-help: Living with irritable bowel syndrome
- Self-help: Managing gastro-oesophageal reflux disease
- Self-help: Preventing constipation
- Self-help: Preventing dehydration
- Self-help: Preventing indigestion
- Self-help: Preventing tick bites
- Self-help: Preventing malaria
- Self-help: Caring for someone with dementia
- Self-help: Living with epilepsy
- Self-help: Coping with chronic fatigue syndrome
- Self-help: Living with asthma
- Self-help: Soothing a sore throat
- Self-help: Preventing vaginal thrush
- Self-help: Avoiding bites and stings
- Self-help: Avoiding hypothermia in elderly people
- Self-help: Pelvic floor exercises
- Self-help: Preventing bacterial cystitis
- Self-help: Preventing kidney stones
- Self-help: Writing a living will
- Self-help: Preventing premenstrual syndrome
- Self-help: Encouraging your child to eat
- Self-help: Reducing the risk of asthma attacks in children
- Self-help: Managing eczema in children
- Self-help: Managing nappy rash
- Self-help: Preventing a migraine
- Self-help: Maximizing your chance of conception
- Self-help: Communicating your sexual needs
- Self-help: Preventing STIs
Get more on this subject…