Self-help: Preventing allergic rhinitis
The following measures are all aimed at maintaining an allergen-free environment in your home. Tips on preventing perennial allergic rhinitis include:
- Avoid keeping furry animals as pets if you are allergic to them.
- Replace pillows and quilts containing animal materials such as duck feathers with those containing synthetic stuffing.
- Cover mattresses with plastic.
- Remove dust-collecting items such as upholstered furniture and curtains if possible.
To help prevent the symptoms of seasonal allergic rhinitis, also known as hay fever, the following measures may be effective:
- Avoid areas with long grass or where grass is being cut.
- In summer, keep doors and windows closed and spend as much time as possible in air-conditioned buildings.
- Try to stay inside during late morning and early evening when the pollen count is highest.
- Make sure your car is fitted with an effective pollen filter.
- When outside, wear sunglasses to help to prevent eye irritation.
- Self-help: Life after a heart attack
- Self-help: Coping with varicose veins
- Self-help: Living with irritable bowel syndrome
- Self-help: Managing gastro-oesophageal reflux disease
- Self-help: Preventing constipation
- Self-help: Preventing dehydration
- Self-help: Preventing indigestion
- Self-help: Preventing tick bites
- Self-help: Preventing malaria
- Self-help: Caring for someone with dementia
- Self-help: Living with epilepsy
- Self-help: Coping with chronic fatigue syndrome
- Self-help: Recovering from depression
- Self-help: Living with asthma
- Self-help: Soothing a sore throat
- Self-help: Preventing vaginal thrush
- Self-help: Avoiding bites and stings
- Self-help: Avoiding hypothermia in elderly people
- Self-help: Pelvic floor exercises
- Self-help: Preventing bacterial cystitis
- Self-help: Preventing kidney stones
- Self-help: Writing a living will
- Self-help: Preventing premenstrual syndrome
- Self-help: Encouraging your child to eat
- Self-help: Reducing the risk of asthma attacks in children
- Self-help: Managing eczema in children
- Self-help: Managing nappy rash
- Self-help: Preventing a migraine
- Self-help: Maximizing your chance of conception
- Self-help: Communicating your sexual needs
- Self-help: Preventing STIs
Get more on this subject…