Self-help: Living with epilepsy
If you have recently been diagnosed as having epilepsy, the following points may be helpful:
- Avoid anything that has previously triggered or may trigger a seizure, such as flashing lights.
- Learn relaxation exercises to help you cope with stress, which may trigger seizures.
- Eat and sleep at regular times.
- Avoid drinking too much alcohol.
- Check with your doctor before taking medications that may interact with anticonvulsant drugs.
- Make sure that you have someone with you if you are swimming or playing water sports.
- Wear protective headgear when participating in contact sports.
- Before applying for a driving licence, talk to your doctor and contact the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency for regulations.
- Consult an adviser before choosing a career because some types of employment may not be suitable.
- Seek advice from your doctor if you plan to become pregnant.
See more in the dossier: Self-help
- Self-help: Preventing allergic rhinitis
- Self-help: Life after a heart attack
- Self-help: Coping with varicose veins
- Self-help: Living with irritable bowel syndrome
- Self-help: Managing gastro-oesophageal reflux disease
- Self-help: Preventing constipation
- Self-help: Preventing dehydration
- Self-help: Preventing indigestion
- Self-help: Preventing tick bites
- Self-help: Preventing malaria
- Self-help: Caring for someone with dementia
- Self-help: Coping with chronic fatigue syndrome
- Self-help: Recovering from depression
- Self-help: Living with asthma
- Self-help: Soothing a sore throat
- Self-help: Preventing vaginal thrush
- Self-help: Avoiding bites and stings
- Self-help: Avoiding hypothermia in elderly people
- Self-help: Pelvic floor exercises
- Self-help: Preventing bacterial cystitis
- Self-help: Preventing kidney stones
- Self-help: Writing a living will
- Self-help: Preventing premenstrual syndrome
- Self-help: Encouraging your child to eat
- Self-help: Reducing the risk of asthma attacks in children
- Self-help: Managing eczema in children
- Self-help: Managing nappy rash
- Self-help: Preventing a migraine
- Self-help: Maximizing your chance of conception
- Self-help: Communicating your sexual needs
- Self-help: Preventing STIs
Get more on this subject…